Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Project 365 - Day 148 - Faster than a speeding ... snail?

Rain rain rain today.  And the ceiling was so low that I couldn't even risk my life trying to get some cool lightning shots at the CN Tower.  Oh well. 

I had to work late tonight, so everything is running behind.  When I got home, I immediately went back out again to search for a subject for my latest shot-o-the-day.

So I came across this little guy.  He was slowly making his way along our hose reel holder in the back.  I picked him up and brought him inside (don't tell Sonia) and set up my makeshift studio.

A speedlight aimed at the ceiling in the den and my trusty 60mm Macro lens.


Looks like he's running laps !!  :-)

A good tip for this kind of shot.  This is shot at 1/13 of a second and since he was moving around a lot I could not use my tripod.  I had the ISO up at 800 even with my flash.  The aperture was at f/14 and I couldn't go any deeper to maintain the sharpness in the pic.

The tip is to make sure this guy is moving on a plane perpendicular to the camera lens.  His front antenna is blurred as is the top of his shell.  So if he was moving towards me I would have had to use a smaller aperture, and bump up the ISO and slow down the shutter.  But this combination worked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment