Saturday, June 1, 2013

Project 365 - Day 152 - My new toy

At the Henry's Exposure show yesterday, I picked up a new toy.  It's a 70-200mm lens, a good long one.  It has a fixed max aperture of f/2.8, which means it's nice and fast.  It's the older cousin to my 24-70mm Nikon lens.

I went with the Sigma mainly because I liked the look and feel of the lens.  Also, it was lighter than the Nikon - but it's still very heavy.  Today when I went out I got to Oakville Harbour, there was a tonne of fog and no lgiht was making it's way through.  It was quite dark.  This lens had no problem focusing in on the birds as I was panning across.

I got this tern (common tern) this morning.  I have been to this spot twice now and watched these guys fish.  It's quite entertaining seeing how they fly around looking down at the water, then with a flick of the wing they are diving headlong into the water.  More often than not they come up empty, but every once in a while they come up with a little fish.



When I saw that I got the shot, I was giddy.  Then I zoomed in on the shot and noticed he had a fish.  Score!  :-)

70-200mm Sigma Lens zoomed right out to 200mm, no stabilization and handheld.  1/320 shutter at f/2.8  ISO was 800

No comments:

Post a Comment