Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Project 365 - Day 155 - Red Necked Grebes

So the birds that I was referring to yesterday are Red Necked Grebes.  They are duck-like birds.  I have never seen these guys before, and again this is another benefit of this project I have undertaken.  Click here to learn more about them.

When I got there today, I had company.  Along with the five other photographers, there were at least fourty Canadian Geese there as well, walking around the grass like they owned the place.  They are not afraid of humans, but I assume they would get cross if you approached.  I think they were jealous of the attention the grebes were getting - like my starling yesterday.

The birds I saw today are a nesting pair.  What I assume is the female is on the nest while the male is gathering parts for the nest.  But as in humans, the male kept getting distracted by shiny things in the water and swam off a couple of times while his mate tended the nest.

This shot was taken just as he was hightailing it back to the nest, but he had been swimming under the water just prior to this shot.


Shot with my 70-200 Sigma at 200mm and f/5.6  1/1000 shutter speed.  Hand held, with Optical Stabilization on.

No comments:

Post a Comment