Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Project 365 - Day 316 - Introducing ... Hermes


Spent the day at the beach today, enjoying the surf and the lightly salted water.  When we first got down to the beach, the towel counter was not open.  While Sonia got us settled, I went to get the towels.  When I got back, Sonia was intrigued with something at her feet.  Thinking she had stepped on a piece of coral or something, I became concerned.  When I approached, however, she looked up and said "Hey, come here!"

I meandered over slowly, expecting now that she was going to get me to clear out some of the miniscule amount of seaweed that had gathered in front of our sun beds.  But instead, she pointed to a shell in the sand.  "Check it out! - Meet Hermes!!"

I looked.  I saw a shell.  One of ... well I am not exaggerating when I say hundreds of other shells on the beach.  But just when I was going to make a smart alek comment - yes, I have been known to do that from time to time - the shell moved.   Inside, was a hermit crab.

So, off I went to get my camera and macro lens, while Sonia babysat our new friend and made sure that the young man who was raking the beach did not rake him up as well.  I got a lot of shots of Hermes, but not a lot of useful ones - as these guys are pretty quick for crabs, and he liked to fall off things that I wanted to photograph him on.

Well, here's Hermes!!



No comments:

Post a Comment