Saturday, January 12, 2013

Project 365 - Day 11 - Happy Birthday to me! (this time it's real)

So this is a little late, but I did start the picture before midnight.  Got it finished just after mid and posted to the folder on facebook at 12:12 EST.  Well, it's still Friday the 11th on the left coast ... :-)

This pic was inspired by, well, my birthday.  I turned 42 today.  It was a great day, and I totally lost track of time until my wife reminded me about this little project.  So I took one of my birthday cupcakes and stuck a candle in it, grabbed my D300S and the 24-70 lens and snapped about 20 shots with a lit candle in various light.

This shot was taken with halogen lights overhead behind the cupcake, and CFL bulbs overhead in front and behind.  There was no flash.  White balance was set to auto (heaven forbid) due to the mix of lights.  The camera did a very good job, I just set the balance a little cooler as it warmed it up too much.

ISO 200, 24-70 lens at 56mm, f5.6 and 1/200 shutter speed.  Here's my shot...


FYI.  For the more technical, I only had to drop the temp by 290 deg.  Camera did pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment