Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Project 365 - Day 22 - Something a little different

Okay, today's shot is something I haven't tried before.  It's a macro shot of a poinsettia leaf which is lit from above using the kitchen light.  The leaf has some sparkles on it, which come across as yellow dots on the leaf itself. 

I like it.  It's different, and it will lead to some interesting shots in the spring when I can once again venture out into the great outdoors.

I toyed with turning this B&W, but in the end decided that colour was best for this, seeing as the leaf itself was in very good condition.

I had a few shots that totally overexposed the red in the shot, but the histogram did not show that it was overexposed.  It was only when I looked at the red channel that I saw why it was bad.  I under exposed by about 1 1/2 stops here, which is why the ceiling is the colour it is.  But it works for the shot.

Here's the shot.


I cloned out one sparkle that was driving me nuts - otherwise no other work was done.  It was not cropped either.

60mm macro lens at f11.  0.4 sec shutter.  ISO 400.  I used a tripod as I had to get underneath and the shutter speed was also pretty slow to handhold.  It's also very tough to handhold when you are 2 inches away from the subject shooting macro.

No comments:

Post a Comment