Friday, January 18, 2013

Project 365 - Day 18 - Clear the tracks

One of the things I want to shoot is a moving train.  The problem is that the schedules for non GO trains (our local transit trains - very ugly) is hard to find.  I have a level crossing very near to my house, but I can't seem to find a train crossing when I go.  Or, I forgot my camera, one of the two.  (usually the latter).

I will shoot that train eventually.

Today's photograph is of a train, although it is stationary.  I shot it with my 24-70.  It's a locomotive that I inherited from my Father, and I keep it on display in my bookcase in my house.  It's a very detailed locomotive, and is quite photogenic.  Of course, it is not full size, it is HO scale.  HO stands for Half O.  O stands for, oh I don't know ... :-)

Some harsh, directional light and shallow depth of field, and voila - shot of the day.

Here's the shot:


No setup shot today, this is pretty straightforward.  I was handholding the speedlight, so it's off to one side.  I kept moving around and taking shots until I got the angle I was looking for.

Anyone recognize the logo at the back? 

3 comments:

  1. The logo is very blurry but I'll venture Home Hardware?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you can find train schedules unless you know someone at CN rail. But, you can go to the railyards to maximize your chances of finding trains on the go. Try Cornwall Rd just past Chartwell. There are also a lot of trains that go by the crossing near us (most slow and switching tracks). It's where the train derailment (behind IKEA) happened a few months back. Wait there and within a half hour, a train will be rolling by.

    ReplyDelete