Monday, January 21, 2013

Project 365 - Day 21 - It's 40 below, and I have a heater in my ... Mazda

Well, -9 deg Celcius, so I guess I am exaggerating a bit.  But what better time to shoot outdoors? 

It was a nice clear night and I was aiming to get a good Toronto skyline shot.  Sometimes you have to wait until it's cold and clear so you don't have to deal with the pollution that hangs over Tdot.  But the spot I chose to shoot from did not have a good line of site to Toronto.  But as I was scoping out the spot, I got told off by a couple of geese and a duck or two.  So off I went to get my camera of course.

Now it was pitch black on the beach and the last thing I wanted to do was use the flash on the poor birds, some of whom were trying to sleep (on the lake.  Can you say brrrr?)  So I set up to take a shot of the shoreline facing west.  This spot is beside Coronation Park in Oakville.  There are a lot of interesting trees in this park, ones that I will shoot as part of this project - probably multiple times. 

The water fowl eventually got used to me, and I was able to shoot in peace.  Being Toronto adjacent, there are not a lot of stars - but there are some.

Here's the shot.  I like it.  Yes, it could be better - and it will get better as this is really one of the reasons for this project.



This was shot at 8:30 tonight, so it's pitch black outside save for the lights on the path through the park.  

This is my 11-16 Sigma lens at 16 mm.  f5.6 and 20 sec exposure.  ISO is 400 to keep the digital noise down.  As an aside, I love this lens too.  It's super wide and very sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment