Monday, January 28, 2013

Project 365 - Day 28 - Beautiful instruments

For our 10th anniversary ... many moons ago, Sonia bought me a guitar.  I love this guitar, but I cannot play it for the life of me - it's something about the size of my hands and the total lack of co ordination (hence the frequent tri pod use).  I did take lessons for about a year, but I only progressed so much.

I can play a couple of intros to songs, but once it gets complicated my fingers decide to do strange things and I can't get my brain to control them.

Still, every now and then I pick it up and strum along to the songs in my head.  One of my favourite songs to play is Nothing Else Matters by Metallica.  I can get a few bars into the intro, and it sounds awesome, but once it picks up I am lost.

Maybe I should just write my own song ... one note all the way through.  Yeah, that will work.

The guitar is beautiful.  It was made in Canada and has some gorgeous inlay work in the head and neck.  So, today I decided to use it in a different way - as a model.

I started shooting the strings to create a vanishing point shooting up the neck.  Yeah, this was okay, but it lacked punch.  So then I focussed on the body, trying to capture the curves.  That didn't turn out nearly as well as I had hoped.  So then I started shooting the head, specifically the tuning pegs.  Bingo.

Here's the shot.

Off camera flash, 60mm macro at 1/20s shutter.  ISO 400, f13.


No comments:

Post a Comment