Sunday, March 10, 2013

Project 365 - Day 69 - Crystals

Our fridge quit on us this week.  It is the upstairs fridge, we have another one in the basement.  It's at least 14 years old, so it was time to go.  At this moment we are in the middle of trying to get it working again.  It doesn't look serious, so we might be lucky.

But that's not the point of this.

While moving stuff from one fridge to the other, I came across a really old bottle of maple syrup.  It was mostly crystal at the bottom, and I rinsed it out to put the bottle in the recycle bin.  When I dumped out the water, a couple of neat sugar crystals cane out as well.  So I saved them ... of course.

Today's pic is a macro shot of those crystals.  I used my 60mm lens with a 36mm extension tube as well to get nice and close.  The lens ended up about 2 inches from the crystals, but I wanted them to fill the frame enough and still have some room around them.

I used two lights here, each at 45 deg from the lens.  One was gelled orange and one was gelled blue.  Each crystal seemed to take on one colour.

The shutter is 2 seconds at f/16.  ISO is 400.  I was using a tripod.

Here's the shot:


No comments:

Post a Comment