Friday, March 15, 2013

Project 365 - Day 74 - Sunset by the Escarpment

Today I went on a little road trip to an area where you could see the Niagara Escarpment.  My intention was to grab a nice sunset shot.  The only thing standing in my way was the appearance of clouds in an otherwise blue sky.

It had been such a nice day today, sky was blue with big fluffy clouds, and I was looking forward to this shot all day.  But as soon as I started driving up there, the clouds rolled in and when I got close to the spot I wanted the sky was a big light grey sheet.

But then I came across this field that was littered with geese.  They were flying all around, some taking off and some landing.  As the sun got lower in the sky it did light up the clouds in a neat way, and I noticed that some of the geese were flying towards the sun.  So I removed my 11-16 Sigma lens and slapped on the trusty 24-70mm lens.  Voila.  Today's shot.

I cropped this to get rid of a lot of the foreground.  The field is basically a wheat field that has been recently turned over - so it's nothing but mud right now.  So that's gone.  It's shot at 70mm at 1/2500 sec and f/6.3  No flashes, no tripod and ISO400.

Here's the shot:


No comments:

Post a Comment