Thursday, April 11, 2013

Project 365 - Day 101 - Bubbles

This subject is something I have wanted to shoot for a while.  I set myself up in our bathroom in the basement to mitigate the mess (kinda worked) and started blowing bubbles.  The problem with this is that the bubbles do not want to go where you want them to go.  In some instances, the bubble would be falling quite nicely and when it got to the top of the camera, it would take a sharp turn and go around the lens hood, and then back around again under the camera ...

Strange.

I got a couple of shots off that were pretty cool, but they were blurry due to the wide aperture I was using and also the constant movement of the bubble.

Then Sonia suggested that I blow the bubbles so that they were fixed to something flat, like cardstock or the edge of the bath tub.  So that's what I tried next.

I started to blow the bubbles to get them on the edge of the bath tub and Sonia stood watch.  After I think the 15th bubble exploded in my face - along with Sonia laughing at me trying to blow the "perfect' bubble - I got something usable.  As I was setting my camera up, I popped the bubble with the release cable.  Drat!

So I was successful in blowing some good bubbles, but they were all to big for my lens.  Then I tried smaller bubbles in clusters, and I came up with today's shot.


ISO 1600, shutter is 1/40 and aperture is f/10.  This is my 60mm lens with the 36mm extension tube on.  There is a slight crop and also I cloned out a couple of soap spots that are now on my lens.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean my lens ... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment