Sunday, April 21, 2013

Project 365 - Day 111 - Snail

Today I was doing some gardening, cleaning out the dead stuff in preparation for the new growth this spring.  It proved to be a challenge since there were already tulips and daffodils poking their heads through.  I did find a lot of old snail shells that had been partially broken by the odd beak or two.  In one spot I counted almost 20 of these shells - it was like the birds had a feast here in the fall.

When Sonia and I were leaving to pick up some supplies at Home Depot, I saw this really tiny snail climbing up the front steps.  So I thought to myself, "that guy would make an excellent shot".  I told myself that if he was still there when we got back, I would shoot him and make him my shot of the day.

So we got back, and he was still there - hadn't even moved an inch.  Here's the shot of mr snail...


60mm lens with all three extension tubes on.ISO400, f/25 at  0.4s shutter.  I used a flash mounted off camera bouncing against my front door.  The original shot was vertical, but I moved it Horizontal to make it more appealing.  The snail is on material that usually looks like flecked stone - this snail is super tiny...

No comments:

Post a Comment