Sunday, April 7, 2013

Project 365 - Day 97 - Faster than a speeding ... bus?

Today I was in Toronto attending a photography show.  There were sessions where you could learn things and also a small area with equipment where you could check out and test things that you have had your eye on.  Over all it was pretty good.

So on my way back to Oakville, I decided to walk down to Union Station instead of taking the subway.  It's always good to be a tourist in your own town.  I drive through Toronto every day, I spent 8 months after college driving a cube van downtown amongst the cabs and buses and streetcars.  So I wanted to see what had changed.

It was a great afternoon for a walk.  I got a couple of good shots of things, but I wanted to try a technique taught to me by Michael Willems during a photo walk he was leading a couple of years ago.  It might not seem like much, but it is a pretty cool technique. You basically do a panning shot of a car that is going by real quick.  So you set up your camera for a slower shutter, and pan with the vehicle as you actuate the shutter release.

Here's my first (yep, first) attempt today.  I have more, but this is by far the best one.


24-70mm lens, at 27mm.  ISO400 Shutter is 1/2500 and the aperture is f/2.8.  It is a handheld shot.

The blur is motion blur at this point.  I could have easily shot a stationary object while hand holding this combination, and the subject would have been tack sharp.  But in this instance, the camera was moving just enough to allow the motion blur, and the wheels are also concentric circles so you can't see any detail such as lug nuts or anything like that.

I would change only two things about this photograph, but as you know I like to keep them as lifelike as possible.  First, I would wash the bus.  Second, I would eliminate the bus ad and continue the red stripe down the bus.  I could have done this in photoshop, but I don't agree with that level of manipulation unless it is warranted.  In this case, I do not think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment