Monday, April 15, 2013

Project 365 - Day 105 - Spinning Gold

Well, okay, not quite gold.  But you know, close enough.

For those who do not know, this is a toonie.  Now, it might seem like a strange name for a two dollar coin, but our one dollar coin in Canada is nicknamed Loonie.  This is because it has a loon on the front, well the original one does anyway (there are many other versions).  Our two dollar coin has a polar bear on the front.  So, obviously it's called a toonie.  And not twonie, as people would just end up tripping all over that word.

Anyway, I am off topic.  Today I decided I wanted to shoot a spinning coin.  Sounds easy, right?  Well after about 120 shots, I finally got some useful images ...  I was just not happy with a lot of them.   I was able to freeze the motion perfectly with the face towards the camera, but it looked like I just placed a coin on the table and took the shot.  Not that imaginative.

So then I started trying to shoot as the coin was falling, and basically wobbling back and forth while spinning.  And success, this is what I came up with.


ISO 800 60mm lens at f/20 and 1/10 sec shutter.

I decided I would also post my setup shot as well.  This was a tough one because even at f/20 the depth of field of the shot limited the area where I could have the coin spinning and get a nice clear image.  So here's the setup shot for this one...


The green tape is right outside of the field of vision of the lens.  The lens is being focused by clamping it on a particular plane, and shining a light on it.  The flashlight also provides fill light for the spinning coin, and the speedlight to the left is used to stop the motion.  I used my pocketwizards for this shot to ensure accuracy of the flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment