Friday, April 5, 2013

Project 365 - Day 95 - Waiting on a train

Near our house there is a level crossing that we go over quite a bit.  During the morning and evening hours you see a lot of GO trains going back and forth along this line.  I always say that I am going to grab a shot at this location.

So today was that day.  I went out with my camera during a time when the trains were running every 10 minutes or so.  I shot two trains and was reasonably pleased with the results.  This particular shot was taken looking north along the road and the train was moving eastbound towards Union station.

As I was setting up to shoot, the arms were coming down and I was lining up my camera.  There was a car coming along the road really slowly, and I assumed that the person was going to let me get a good shot without the front of their car in the way.  But no, alas the person pulled up almost all the way to the arms, and I was forced to reframe and then ultimately crop out the front of the car.

I desaturated everything but the red, and bumped that up a bit too.  The pole is crooked, but that'sthe way it actually is.  The train is green and white, and the sky was really blue, but those things did not matter in this shot.

24-70mm lens at 32mm.  F/22 and 1/40 of a second shutter to allow the train to blur.  ISO is 100 to get the shutter slow enough without using a ND filter. I was handholding the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment