Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Project 365 - Day 37 - Shooting at night

The one thing about this time of year is I get to work when it's still dark and I leave when it's getting dark.  So there is really only a small amount of time available for shooting if you don't want to shoot at night.  Fortunately, I have no issue shooting at night.

This evening, I went back down to Bronte Harbour.  (Click here for the shot that day).  I have a feeling I will be back to this particular spot a lot over the coming months - it's a very nice area.

My first idea was to get a shot of the lighthouse with the lights along the walkway.  Got this shot, and it was in my back pocket as a usable shot.

Then I happened upon this really cool tree ( I love shooting trees) that had a red ribbon on it.  So, up goes the tripod and on goes the camera.

The shot is at ISO400, 8s at f/7.1  I set up the shot, and it turned out really flat.  The tree was underexposed, but there was no depth to the scene.  So I took out my speedlight and set it to 1/8 power.  Then I put the timer on the camera, and when the shutter opened, I ran around the tree popping the flash as I went.  This gave depth to the tree and also created the look like it is slightly frosted.

Take a look at the sky.  No touchup on the blue on the sky.  This was out of camera.

Here's the shot:


No comments:

Post a Comment