Monday, February 18, 2013

Project 365 - Day 49 - Another walk in the park

Today I went to a different part of Oakville.  There is this giant metal wheel on Speers road just south of the Oakville GO station that I have always wanted to shoot.  Today was the perfect time to do it, there was no traffic and the GO station was empty - lots of parking available.

I got a couple of good shots of the wheel, but none worthy to post here today.  I am still planning that shoot.  There was too much snow and ice around to get a good clean shot.

So I went for a walk down the heritage trail, a trail that is closed for the season.  This is an incline of about 20 deg or so, and apparently it is almost all ice.  I slipped a couple of times, but nothing too major - I didn't fall or anything.

I saw a couple of birds, one of which is the elusive Cardinal.  I call this Cardinal elusive as I have not yet been able to get a good clear shot of this guy.  There is one in my neighbourhood that likes to greet me when I get home, but then flies away at my first movement.  He even goes as far as perching on an old tree stump in our front garden - creating the perfect composition - before flying off.  I really need to learn how to make friends with this guy.  His colour is awesome, and he's a beautiful bird.

So I followed this particular cardinal around for a bit today, but he alwasys put trees or bushes between us.  He had what I assume was his mate with him, and they were happily chirping away as they would flit from branch to branch, maximizing the distractions between us.  So finally I gave up and he flew away.

I did, however, get this shot.  I don't know what this flower is, but in the winter it leaves this husk that looks kind of like a bee hive.  The sharp edges create a contrast to the white fluffy snow behind. 

Here's today's shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment