Thursday, February 14, 2013

Project 365 - Day 45 - Love is in the air ...

Hey everyone.  Happy Valentine's day.

So today's pic is inspired by Valentine's day.  Duh.  What a stretch, right? 

A few years back, Sonia and I were celebrating Valentine's day.  We went a little overboard, and after the dust had settled we decided that we really didn't need to go all out on this one day a year, especially so close to Christmas and my birthday.  So we agreed to just spend the time together on that day, and I agreed to let Sonia spend more on me on Christmas ... :-)

I went to Metro today to get some flowers to shoot.  Also to give to Sonia, but let's face it - I wanted to shoot flowers on Valentine's day.  The floral department at my local Metro is right by the entrance.  So when I went in, I was immediately in a crowd of men - young and old - lining up to buy flowers. 

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but do grocery store flowers count as acceptible Valentine's day flowers?  I don't think so, but maybe it's the thought that counts.  I will admit that the flowers were pretty good, and fresh - they were almost walking out the door. And for $24.95 and 25 bonus air miles, you can't really go wrong. 

I will also admit that I have bought flowers from the grocery store before on Valentine's day, and they passed as acceptible, but my wife is just awesome that way.

So when Sonia got home today, and saw the flowers, she said "Shooting flowers today honey?"  It's like she knows me.

But did I get the roses?  Nope.  I got something better.  It's not just love that's in the air.  I am tired of winter.  I enjoyed the snow this year, and I actually got some pretty good shots on a couple of winter outings.  But now it's time for spring.  Yeah, it's February, but I don't care.  I need sunshine and spring flowers and my beloved TFC to start playing again.

Here's today's shot.  I lit a piece of foamcore from behind to make it white, and I lit the flowers separately.  Both off camera flash, two channels.  The flower light was set to +1 stop and the background was set to -1 stop.


Yep, Tulips.  Sonia loves Tulips.  We can't grow them because our friendly neighbourhood squirrels decide that they would rather eat the bulbs than look at the nice flowers.  So Sonia gets her Tulips in cut flower form...

No comments:

Post a Comment