Sunday, February 17, 2013

Project 365 - Day 48 - It's cold out there ....

So, it's -12 deg celcius, and that's before the wind chill - what better day to go back down to Coronation park in Oakville?

When I returned from my shoot yesterday, Sonia took a look at my photos and lamented that some of them would benefit from a clear sky.  One in particular was the shot of the tree.  Although it was a good shot, it could be better - or possibly different.  So off we went, on what could have been the coldest day of the year, back down to Coronation park. ( I actually asked Sonia why we don't go to this park when it's warm outside)...

First things first, I recreated my shot from yesterday.  Blue sky, cool tree, it's a very nice shot.  So now I have options for what I am going to do with the four seasons photo with that tree.  But that's not the main reason why we were there today...

It was a completely different park today, the water was rougher so there weren't as many birds floating around.  No geese and no swans.  I got out my 18-270 Tamron lens and shot some ducks at 270mm.  But now, looking at those shots on the computer screen, they just aren't sharp.  It's not motion blur, but it's a general softness to the shot.  Not impressed with this lens...

So, I put the 24-70 back on and shot some of the ice on rocks and tires and stuff.  Got some good shots.  The weather was not as cold yesterday as it was today, so the ice pics that I got yesterday were not what I was going for.  Today was a different story.

Today's shot is of a rock that is just at water's edge.  This rock was clear of ice yesterday, but today it has some significant ice collection on it.  You can tell it has started to melt, but over night this thing is going to get covered.

I was lying on the rocky, icy beach to get this shot.  The sun is coming down behind me, it's 3:30 in the afternoon, but the sun is already low in the sky.  Shot at 70mm, 1/2500 sec shutter and f/4.5.  ISO is 400, and could have been lower still.

Here's the shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment