Thursday, February 7, 2013

Project 365 - Day 38 - Planetary Experiment

So I tried something tonight.  Not entirely what I wanted to do, but it is an interesting shot.

My idea was to try and get a shot that looked like a planet, complete with stars behind it.  I took a Lindt truffle and stuck a wooden skewer in it.  Then, I made it sit horizontally facing the camera.  I put a piece of dark grey construction paper in behind and poked holes through the paper.

Using my pocketwizards, I put a flash about 6 feet behind the background.  This allowed light to come through the paper, and also spill out over top of the truffle-planet.

It was a pretty good first shot.  I think that in future, a real black background is needed and possibly a different colour truffle.  The dimple in the truffle kind of makes it look like the death star, so maybe I'll model that instead next time.

It was definitely a good learning experience, trying different things and seeing what the results give you, then adjusting.

Here's the shot:



And, of course, the setup shot:


The paper towel behind the background paper was to diffuse the light from the flash - which is over on the other counter facing the setup.  No extra light hits the lens, but the flash did bounce off the wall behind the camera and light the truffle slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment